How to make the green padlock stay on permanently
Issue: SSL Certificate installed but the padlock is still not showing
The cause of this problem is simple but it takes time to fix
The first thing you need to do is to go to whynopadlock.com and run the domain search for the website where the SSL certificate is installed
Test results should show that the SSL certificated is installed on your website
It will also show a list of errors listing the files and links which are still being hosted under the non-secure (http://) protocol
Your job is to simply locate these files and change them to the secure (https://) protocol
This is the time-consuming part.
- Test each page individually on whynopadlock.com
- Locate the files or links that need to be changed
- Change from http:// to https://
- If using page builders, make sure to double check background images (as they are hard to locate)
- If running under WordPress, ensure to change the URL redirect to the secure (https://) protocol, you can change this under settings -general in the WordPress dashboard
- Ensure to change all the links and images to the secure redirect
Cause of this problem:
If whynopadlock.com is showing that the SSL certificate is installed, then it is the websites content that is causing the pad lock symbol not to show
The symbol may show and suddenly disappear, due to there still being insecure links on the site
All the links have to be changed for the green padlock symbol to stay on permanently.
Please read our previous post on how to install SSL Certificate before proceeding with this fix.